Amputation is identified by which joint or long bone has been amputated.
- Above knee (AKA): transfemoral
- Below knee (BKA): transtibial
- Below ankle: transmetatarsal
- Above elbow: transhumeral
- Below elbow: transradial
- Below wrist: transmetacarpal
Disarticulation: across a joint such as hip, wrist, elbow, or shoulder
OT Dude Rant: A lot of old school doctors, nurses, therapists may refer to the residual limb as a stump. The current accepted term is residual limb. If you see this in your documentation or hear your co-workers say “stump”, kindly correct them with education!