Complications of Uncontrolled Diabetes Include (but not limited to):
- Heart disease (possible death)
- Stroke (possible death)
- Kidney damage or kidney failure (nephropathy) – and needing dialysis
- Liver disease
- Digestion problems
- Nerve damage (neuropathy)
- Eye damage (retinopathy)
- Sexual dysfunction
- Gum (periodontal) disease
- Needing a toe, foot, or leg amputated (if you also have PAD)
Which may leave to psychosocial issues including:
Many of these complications involve chronic pain.
Ask your doctor, dietician, nurse, or therapist for diabetic education resources.