To nap or not to nap?
Research has been mixed about whether napping is good. Napping may fragment sleep and cause disruptions during the night. Other research found benefits to napping and recommend short naps, especially as we age to supplement our primary sleep.
How to Take a Good Nap
- Keep the nap short
- A 20- to 30-minute nap may be ideal; try setting an alarm
- Find a dark, quiet, cool place with reduced noise
- Plan a nap in the afternoon instead of unplanned napping
- Time caffeine intake to not coincide with the nap
- Don’t feel guilty about the nap
- A good, well-timed nap can actually help to increase productivity
Harvard Health Letter: Napping may not be such a no-no, Boston, November, 2009, President and Fellows of Harvard College, Harvard University.