DME Guide & Tips
- Check the weight capacities of equipment.
- Although you may feel the urge to ‘OT something’, do NOT alter DME, as you may compromise the integrity and safety of the device, e.g. drilling holes into walkers.
- Some equipment may require assembly (patients may require additional assistance)
- Besides purchasing, other options include: borrowing, thrift shops, second hand
- Most insurances including Medicare do not cover most of these DME.
- Eval/Interview: are patient’s using unsafe DME? e.g., suction cup grab bars, low weight capacities, old equipment that requires servicing, grab bars not anchored to studs
- Consider environmental restrictions (door jams, small spaces, clutter, etc.)
- Often, renters have more restrictions than homeowners, considerations include ADA, Fair Housing Act, Lease agreement, etc.
- Can it be placed somewhere else, e.g. bedside instead of bathroom?
- Consider the 1st floor instead of 2nd
- Can another room be used instead?
- Can items be removed?
- Can doors be removed?
- Always read and follow manufacturer’s safety and installation instructions.
DME & A/E Index:
Kits (Usually more economical, easier for patients buy what’s necessary)
- Front Wheel Walker (FWW)
- Platform for Front Wheel Walker (PFWW)
- 4 Wheel Walker (4WW)
- Wide Base Quad Cane (WBQC)
- Small Base Quad Cane (SBQC)
- Single Point Cane (SPC)
- Walker Basket with Cup Holder
- Walker Tote Bag
- Walker Tennis Balls
Shower Chairs & Benches
Car / Driving
- 3-in-1 Commode
- Bariatric Commode
- Raised Toilet Seat with Handle Bars
- Toilet Handle Bars
- Toilet Aids / Buddies
DME & A/E KitsHip Replacement Kits
Although these are made for ‘hip replacements’, they contain commonly used adaptive equipment that can be recommended to most patients.
Hip Replacement Kit (5 items)
Hip Replacement Kit (7 items)
Feeding/EatingWalker Tray with Cup HolderPlate GuardWeighted Utensils
MobilityFront Wheel WalkerPlatform for Front Wheel Walker (PFWW)
4 Wheel WalkerWide Base Quad Cane (WBQC)Small Base Quad Cane (SBQC)
Single Point Cane (SPC)
Walker Basket with Cup HolderWalker Tennis Balls
Bariatric MobilityBariatric FWW
Shower Chair & BenchShower ChairShower BenchBariatric Shower ChairBariatric Shower Bench
Bed MobilityBed Assist Rail / Handle
Couch Assist Rail / Handle
Car / DrivingHandy Bar
Bariatric CommodeRaised toilet seat with handle barsToilet Safety BarsToilet Aids / Buddies
CookingRocker KnifeOne-handed Cutting BoardOne-handed Jar Opener
General PurposeDycemBuild-up Foam